The National Women’s Law Center seeks a Media Director to raise the visibility of the organization and advance the Center’s work on health care, reproductive rights, and judicial nominations through outreach to both traditional and online media outlets.
For 40 years, the National Women’s Law Center has led the way in expanding the possibilities for women and girls. The Center uses the law in all its forms to advance the rights of women: from advocating for new laws to litigating ground-breaking lawsuits to educating the public about how to make the law and public policies work for women and their families. The Center focuses on major policy areas of importance to women, including education, employment, health and reproductive rights, and family economic security, with special priority given to the needs of low-income women and their families. The Center has a staff of more than 60 and an annual budget of approximately $12 million.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Media Director will focus on gaining visibility for the Center’s concerns, reports, and campaigns in the areas of health care, reproductive rights, Supreme Court cases, and judicial nominations. This position reports to the Vice President of Communications.
- Help design and implement strategic communications plans and messages.
- Write and edit media materials, including press releases, statements, op-eds, letters to the editor, editorial board memos, and email pitches to journalists.
- Conduct outreach to national and state media and prominent bloggers.
- Organize media teleconferences and other events.
- Position staff as quotable experts and prepare staff for high-profile interviews—especially for TV appearances.
- Work closely with the Communications Department and policy staff.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in journalism or public relations, especially at a non-profit organization, public relations agency, political campaign or Capitol Hill.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Ability to act quickly and effectively under pressure.
- Work well within teams.
- Work well with competing priorities and manage projects involving multiple people from across the department and organization.
- A successful track record in placing stories in both traditional and online media.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Knowledge of health care, reproductive rights or the federal judiciary a plus.
If you are interested in joining the NWLC media team, please submit a cover letter describing your qualifications, strategic communications abilities and experience, media placements, and salary requirements (required); resume; two short writing samples, and three supervisory references. Electronic submissions are preferred. Please send materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and include position title in the subject line. Hard copies may be addressed to: Human Resources Department, National Women's Law Center, 11 DuPont Circle, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036, FAX: 202-588-5185. Applications accepted until position is filled. No calls please. EOE.