Urge your Representative: Vote NO on ending tax credits for working families and slashing Medicaid, food stamps, and child care
No one likes a Grinch. Especially this time of year.
Tonight, YOUR Representative will vote on a bill that would end improvements in tax credits for low- and moderate-income working families – but extend most tax breaks for the richest two percent. As if that wasn’t bad enough, they’ll also vote on an amendment that would make devastating cuts to programs vital to women and their families.
Millions of low-income people would lose valuable tax credits and eligibility for Medicaid. Key provisions of the Affordable Care Act would be undermined or eliminated. Food stamp (SNAP) benefits would be cut and 280,000 low-income children would lose free school meals. And funding streams that support women’s health, child care and other services would be eliminated.
Tell your Representative not to be a Grinch. Call 202-224-3121 NOW and ask your Representative to vote NO on House Speaker John Boehner’s “Plan B” tax bill and the spending cuts bill.
When connected to your Representative’s office, please tell him or her:
- Your name, where you are from, and that you are a constituent.
- Please tell _____________ that I’m counting on [him or her] to vote ‘no’ on the tax bill and the spending cuts bill.
Need more information? These bills jeopardize women and their families by:
- Ending improved tax credits for 25 million low- and moderate-income families. The tax bill would end the 2009 improvements in the Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit, and American Opportunity Tax Credit for college expenses.
- Threatening coverage for people who have Medicaid.
- Undermining the expansion of Medicaid to hard-working people under the Affordable Care Act and raising costs for middle-class families who will receive help paying for health insurance premiums under the law.
- Eliminating the Prevention and Public Health Fund in the Affordable Care Act.
- Cutting nutrition assistance for low-income families. Forty-four million low-income Americans would see reductions in their benefits and about 2 million more would lose eligibility entirely. In addition, 280,000 low-income children would lose free school meals.
- Limiting eligibility for the refundable Child Tax Credit, especially for immigrant families. Eliminating the Social Services Block Grant, which helps fund child care, abuse prevention services, Meals on Wheels, and transportation and housing assistance.
Please call 202-224-3121 today and ask your Representative to vote ‘no’ on these outrageous measures.
For more information, check out our other resources:
- NWLC Letter to House of Representatives: National Women's Law Center Opposes House Reconciliation Bill
- Report: A Roadmap to the Upcoming Federal Budget Debates
- Report: Cutting Programs for Low-Income People Especially Hurts Women and Their Families
- Fact Sheet: Women Suffer Two-Thirds of Losses if Congress Ends Improved Tax Credits for Working Families
- Blog Posts:
- Mulvaney Amendment Means (At Least) Five More Problems with Boehner’s Plan B
- Top Five Problems with Boehner's "Plan B"
- More than Mammograms: Prevention Fund Focuses on Critical Conditions
Articles by Topic
Join the Reproductive Health Campaign
Go to ThisIsPersonal.org to get the facts and tools you need to help protect women's reproductive health.