Preventive Services, Including Contraceptive Coverage, Under the Health Care Law
The health care law requires new health plans to cover certain preventive services. This means that, as an increasing number of health plans come under the law’s reach over the next few years, more and more people will have access to a wide range of preventive services without co-payments, deductibles, or co-insurance. This is especially important to women, who are more likely than men to avoid needed health care, including preventive care, because of cost. This requirement is a huge step forward for women’s health.
Use our information and tools to find out more about preventive services in the health care law and if your health plan covers the women’s preventive services without a co-payment, deductible, or co-insurance or when that coverage will begin:
- Fact Sheet: Contraceptive Coverage in the Health Care Law: Frequently Asked Questions
- Flowchart: How to Find Out If and When Your Health Plan Will Begin Covering Women’s Preventive Services with No Co-Pay
- Fact Sheet: Your Employer or University Objects to Providing Insurance Coverage of Birth Control: What Does That Mean for You?
- Fact Sheet: Access to Preventive Health Care for Women in the Health Care Law: Frequently Asked Questions
- Fact Sheet: Women's Access to Preventive Services Affirmed by HHS
If you had trouble getting one of the preventive services covered and you are unsure why, let us know. We might be able to help. Please contact us at 1-866-PILL4US or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some bosses and politicians are using their own religiously-motivated opposition to birth control to take this benefit away from women. This spring, the Supreme Court will review two challenges to the birth control benefit brought by for-profit companies, Hobby Lobby (a chain of arts and crafts stores) and Conestoga Wood Specialties (a wood furniture manufacturer). You can find information about these cases and other challenges to the birth control benefit here.
- Webinar: Women's Preventive Servicesin the Affordable Care Act
- Fact Sheet: Preventive Health Services in the Health Care Law: What’s New as of August 1, 2012?
- Fact Sheet: Contraceptive Coverage in the Health Care Law: What’s New as of August 1, 2012?
- Fact Sheet: Guaranteeing Contraceptive Coverage In All New Health Insurance Plans
- Timeline: Guaranteeing Coverage of Contraceptives, Past and Present
- Testimony: NWLC's Judy Waxman before the Institute of Medicine